Beyond BT

Spiritual Growth for Jews

Baalei Teshuva Resources on the Web

Posted on | November 12, 2006 | By Administrator | 7 Comments

We’re trying to provide links to Baalei Teshuva resources on the Internet. Please list in the comments any BT resources that you have found helpful that are not included on this Wikipedia page..

While we’re looking at the Widipedia page, do you think it accurately captures the history and essence of Baalei Teshuva? What information is missing from it? Do you find any of the information to be inaccurate?

Comments

7 Responses to “Baalei Teshuva Resources on the Web”

1. Ezzie
    November 12th, 2006 @ 9:45 am

Not bad…

I’m surprised there is no mention of NCSY on there (unless I seriously can’t read straight). Chofetz Chaim has far more than 15 affiliates; they have (I believe) 15 branches, but they have a large number of shul rabbonim and school administrators around the country.

2. Steve Brizel
    November 12th, 2006 @ 11:47 am

Ezzie-Read moe-There is plenty re NCSY. While I am not a fan of and I wouldn’t rely on Wikpedia entries as a matter of course on any item, this entry is excellent. I would add that many community kollelim combine both kiruv and its flip side -chizuk as well. Overall, this was an excellent entry.

3. muse
    November 12th, 2006 @ 12:37 pm

NCSY was probably the first organization with youth “kiruv” (before the term was used) as a goal. Rabbis Stolper, Wasserman and Ginsburg were the pioneers nationally. “BT” wasn’t a term yet; we “became religious.” That was in the mid-60′s. In NY the YU seminars worked in paralel, and some of us went to both types of events. I was an NCSY officer in 66-7 and made aliyah in 1970. So that’s my perspective. When discussing youth, the period of time is so short, that everyone will have a different perspective.

Of course, like everything else, NCSY evolved and Chabad strenthened and “graduates” of Ohr Sameach, Diaspora Yeshiva, Neve Yerushalayim and Aish left Israel for the states influencing further.

4. David Schallheim
    November 12th, 2006 @ 5:08 pm

I thought it was very balanced and historically accurate. It’s great that it provides resources and links.
    I don’t know of any other links, besides what you have on the side already on Beyond BT.

5. Michoel
    November 13th, 2006 @ 8:52 am

The article could be a lot worse.

6. Michael Gros
    November 14th, 2006 @ 11:58 am

Thanks for putting up the Wikipedia link. I’ve never seen it before, but it’s a well-written article.

7. mink
    February 21st, 2007 @ 2:10 am

Some interesting links: http://www.inner.org (seems inactive, but has some very accessible and fascinating kabbalistic stuff) and http://www.cardozoschool.org, for R. Cardozo’s essays…